"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Saturday, April 23, 2016

Day Four - Zion National Park

I was out before the sun this morning looking for the grey fox that are known to live in the park.  While waiting for the sun to rise and the morning light to reveal the secrets of the night I was inspired to photograph the "edge of light" on the mountains.

All of the following images are handheld, taken with a Nikon 18-200mm lens…








No wildlife appeared during my vigil, so I headed back to Kolob Mountain.  While checking the talus pile that seemed so promising for pika I did find a marmot enjoying the warmth...


I photographed a few of the seasonal houses in the high country...

 
They varied from luxurious…


 to more modest shelter…


I must admit that my taste runs toward the latter.

The next image is of a typical high country corral...


Fences and corrals are usually made of locally cut trees.  Probably due to the expense of obtaining wood from a mill.

Finding wildlife may be a matter of chance, but the amazing scenery is consistent...









We will soon be heading to Nevada for a few days, and then on to Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.  It is hard to contain my excitement at being back among the grizzly bears and wolves.

Check back often to follow our journey, be well, and thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...