"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Thursday, April 12, 2012

Black-crowned Night Herons Have Returned...

Those of you who have been visiting my blog for a while might remember the black-crowned night herons that I found nesting in Baker Park last year.  I visited briefly today and they have returned.  I hope you enjoy the photographs of these interesting birds...



For such large birds they build flimsy nests of twigs...


Which do not always serve them well.  Their eggs are about the size of chicken eggs...


This nest holds two adult birds snuggling against the morning chill and wind...


They can be hard to photograph when passing overhead with twigs for their nest...



I will let this one wave goodbye for me.  Don't forget to stop by again.


P.S: Don't you just hate it when you get an itch back there?









2 comments:

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...