"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Sunday, May 17, 2020

Is It Safe To Go Out Yet?




"Is it safe to leave my shelter now?"



"WHO" the screech owl asked, "said that it is?"




"Hmm" they're not infectious disease experts...



"I think I will wait a little while longer" thought the screech owl.




And the wise old barred owl agreed...

Seriously, dear readers, nature does not follow a schedule because it is convenient to us humans. Ugly as it is, the Corona virus is a part of nature and we all need to be patient until the SCIENTISTS tell us it is safe.
Since I am starting this blog post mentioning the ugly side of nature, here is another ugly side that we can do something about. In one of my favorite areas to view birds and widlife there lurks a number of free-roaming cats...





They are so numerous that they have created trails through the dense thickets that should be for wildlife habitat...


I hate to think about the toll these cats take on birds and small animals...


Blue birds are actively building nests...


and choosing mates for the breeding season...


Blue-gray gnatcatchers have arrived...


As well as Baltimore orioles...




The woods have an abundance of ruby-crowned kinglets...



Our resident pileated woodpeckers have chosen nesting sites...




This red-bellied woodpecker had a mate nearby...


as did these female red-winged blackbirds...


I am hoping to locate more great-crested flycatchers...


These Carolina wrens seemed to be bickering over a nest site location...


Robins are already on their nests...


My next blog post will include more wildlife...


and warblers...


Until we muddle through this pandemic, be calm and let nature take its course like this stone buddha in my neighbor's yard...


Thanks for visiting, be well, and come back soon.

1 comment:

  1. Your bird pictures are just stunning, Steve. I agree with you--we're waiting for the scientists, not the politicians, to tell us it's safe to go out and about again. There's plenty to do and see right here anyway. I may make my first foray to the grocery story next week, early early in the morning. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...