"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Thursday, April 16, 2020

SOME THINGS NEVER REALLY CHANGE



One of my biggest challenges in writing this blog has been to make it informative, and interesting, while documenting my daily interaction with nature.
    I have come to rely, perhaps too heavily, on our yearly road trips to the west for new photographs.

During these days of forced travel restrictions I have been looking more closely than ever at the natural world close to home.
    At this time of year the wild turkey gobblers are seeking hens with which to mate. Two days ago I encountered some gobblers crossing a field...

  
When they took flight to cross a creek I was able to obtain three images of these large, graceful birds...


Most often my efforts result in more common birds, like this male cardinal...


and this American crow...


While observing a Carolina wren...


I  had an opportunity to photograph a winter wren on the same perch...


From the same location I could see a female belted kingfisher...



A wonderful thing about creeks and rivers is the variety of life that can be seen...






Being located in mid-Maryland, there are plenty of waterways to explore. They range from small, unnamed, tributaries all the way up to the Potomac River. The only requirements are a view of the water and the patience to wait quietly. Hopefully the reward will be a pair of wood ducks...





Or, perhaps, hooded mergansers...



Learning the names and habits of wildlife and birds is a rewarding past-time in itself. There is always something new to learn from nature.

  I watched a muskrat gather vegetation from the creek bank and take it to it's burrow...






A common bird near most bridges is the Eastern Phoebe...


This small fly catcher is usually seen in pursuit of  insects...



If you are a frequent follower of this blog you will probably recognize many of species from previous posts. The critters may be the same, but I try to post only new photos.
  I have posted many images of this stream, but it takes on a fresh look after a light dusting of snow ...


I noticed activity near a blue bird house a few days ago. Instead of blue birds, this house is being used by tree swallows...





Many species are fighting over territory now. I found these normally docile robins engaged in "beak to beak" battle...


Nesting sites are another source of contention in the bird world.  I thought I was watching a pileated woodpecker approaching it's nest site...


When a yellow-shafted flicker rocketed from the hole...


In a short time the evicted flicker was searching for a different location...


I spotted this American kestrel on a power line near home...


It kept a sharp eye on me over each shoulder...


Speaking of "eyes", this is one that was peeking out from a brush pile...


Flowers are blooming, bees are buzzing and Spring has arrived...


I hope you will find a respite from cabin fever and the dreary corona virus news. If you happen to go fishing, try to keep your bobber out of the tree limbs.  We don't have any "flying" fish around here... 


Thanks for visiting, be well, and come back soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...