"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A Very Different Post - Scenes From Vietnam

There have been many blog visitors from Vietnam and, while I don't know any of them personally, I thought the photos I am posting might be of interest to those visitors.  Especially those from the Da Nang area.  These images were taken on slide film in 1970.

The first image is a market scene on the outskirts of the city...


Next is the German hospital ship, Helgoland...


As one might expect the countryside was dotted with rice paddies...






I very much enjoyed the beauty of the country side. Having grown up in rural West Virginia, I could identify more with areas away from the city.

Da Nang was surrounded by neighborhoods, suburbs we would call them now, that I never learned very much about.  I was fascinated by the mix of conveyances which included bicycles, motorbikes, rickshaws, military vehicles and luxury cars...






Commerce was largely conducted in road-side stalls or open front stores...











Near the harbor on the Han River were a couple of interesting looking restaurants...



I have no understanding of the economy of Vietnam.  Housing ranged from charming homes and stores to shacks made of corrugated metal.  Children on the streets appeared to fit into one of two classes, the poor, who were usually without shoes, or the affluent who were dressed much as Western children might be...














I hope regular readers of my blog will indulge my divergence from the natural world this one time.  I was 20 years old when I took these photos and I have deliberately avoided posting images depicting military activities..


I am providing a few links to publications in Vietnam that have used some of my images.  While they did not seek my permission to use them, they at least gave photo credit in every case...











Thanks for visiting, be well, and come back soon.

2 comments:

  1. Ver nice pictures. Thanks for having served in VietNam.
    Quan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thank you for presenting the photos!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...