"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Friday, December 30, 2022

End of Year Blues


 Watching bluebirds is not a bad way to end the year...


For a long time I thought bluebirds migrated in winter. Gradually, I came to the realization that they just changed their behavior; gathering in flocks rather than the mated pairs I was familiar with...


While watching a hillside for whatever might present itself, I was visited by bluebirds arriving to drink from a small stream and feast on greenbrier berries...








They didn't stay very long but it was fun to see them...


Other visitors included a female cardinal...


The cold water did not discourage her...




In the next image she seemed t be checking out her feet...


Finally she gazed upon her reflection...


A Carolina wren inspected a fallen tree for insects...



A male downy woodpecker did the same on a standing tree...


This flicker was puffed up against the single digit temperatures...



A goldfinch displays beautiful winter plumage...


I saw this house finch enjoying some early buds...


I watched as this red-bellied woodpecker...


Made several trips to bring a kernel of corn to stash under bark...


When I left I came across a buck that had been wounded...


There is no joy in taking photos like these. I was able to make a call to ensure that he was humanely dispatched, and the venison salvaged...


On the way home I spotted this hawk watching for prey in an open field...


Thanks for visiting, be well, and come back soon.




2 comments:

  1. Great pics Steve and happy you could do something for the poor deer to end its misery

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely ever see bluebirds here in winter, but will have to look more closely. Ibwonder if the female cardinal was prepping for a wild New Years celebration?
    Sad about the buck. My husband is a hunter and venison is our beef substitute here, but he will always track down any animal he has wounded. Thankfully he is a good shot so its a rare case.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...