"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Monday, February 22, 2021

Snow and Clouds and Moody Views

 


We have had snow on the ground a good deal this winter. As long as the roads are passable I can enjoy the seasonable weather. On mornings after a snowfall, especially one without wind, the forest is transformed into patterns rendered in dark and light tones...



 

Some photographers refer to overcast days as "black and white days" remembering, I suppose, the era of black and white film. Following are two renderings of the same scene; the first in color...

and the next in black and white...


A great blue heron looks for a meal in a small creek...




I found the reflection almost as interesting as the bird.

This hawk, that I have tentatively identified as a juvenile red-shouldered, has been frequenting an area that I visit daily...


Normally, it is quite skittish and does not tolerate my attempts to capture an image...


It must have been uncommonly hungry on this day, and I softly uttered a "thank you" for the opportunity to get these images...







Horned larks often can be spotted along rural roads after a snowfall...





I was visited again by this brown creeper...



They are always interesting to observe...



This adult red-shouldered hawk was hunting near our house...


Three deer chose a sunny hillside to loaf and chew their cuds...


I shared this screech owl in my last blog post. I pass this tree daily and can't resist taking another photo each time I go by...




Upon observing a different tree cavity I became excited about photographing a red-morph screech owl...


Closer inspection, with binoculars, revealed leaves instead of owl "ears".  Probably part of a squirrels nest.

I found this knothole interesting enough to photograph...


even a wee bit cockeyed...


We haven't had a completely ice covered waterway yet this winter, but there is still time...


Thanks for visiting, be well, and come back soon.




3 comments:

  1. Just keep reminding us with your photography, how beautiful our woods and farmlands are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just stunning, Steve. I don't know if there are horned larks and brown creepers here, but now I'm curious enough to look them up and see. Maybe I just haven't been observant enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are brown creepers in your area. Keep in mind how small they are, very easy to overlook. Watch for horned larks, also small, to be in flocks. They are most visible when farmers spread manure searching for undigested seeds. If there is snow on the ground they like to hand out near the edges where paved roads cause the snow to melt quicker. Good luck.

      Delete

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...