"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Tuesday, March 24, 2020

THE SOUND OF SPRING



I suppose spring is heralded in different ways to most of us. From the geese in formation flying  north, the greening-up of lowland foliage, or the sound of the tiny spring peepers in the evening.

For me, the sight and sound of strutting wild turkeys will always signify that winter has come to a close...


There is a road near our home where one can often see flocks of turkeys feeding in cultivated fields...


Usually the birds are far from the road and offer nearly impossible photo opportunities for even the longest telephoto lens.  I was recently lucky to spot a large flock about sixty yards from the road...


I had to drive on by because there was no place for me to safely pull over.  When I did find a suitable place to park I had to hope that the birds would move in my direction as they fed...


After several minutes of anxiously waiting I was rewarded as part of the flock appeared, closing the distance with every step...



There were more poults and hens in the group than there were gobblers...



A soft yelp coaxed a gobbler to spread his tail feathers and strut for the hens...



This strutting and gobbling behavior is a certain indicator of spring, and the wild turkey mating season...






I felt grateful for the opportunity to have these beautiful birds close enough to photograph for a few short minutes...


As the flock moved further away from the road, one young bird realized that it was being left behind...


Thanks for visiting, be well, and come back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...