"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Friday, September 14, 2012

Creek Side Reflections



A lot of thoughts run through my mind while sitting quietly, watching the small stream flow slowly past.  Sometimes I think about the origins of this creek, and where the water goes.  I have trout fished the upper reaches of Spruce Run, and I am pretty certain this is the beginning. I have canoed from Ellerton to the mouth of the creek, where it enters the Potomac River after being joined by countless smaller creeks, runs, and springs. The same tranquil water that I am reflecting on will flow violently over Great Falls, into the Chesapeake Bay, and finally, the Atlantic Ocean.  Somehow, knowing the stream from beginning to end makes it feel more personal.  For the time that it has my full attention it belongs to me, and I to it...
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...