"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Piebald deer, ghost deer, spirit deer, partial albino...

No matter what name they are called I always feel priviledged to spot one of these unusual creatures.









Here are a few more of the piebald taken on 112610.  The day before firearms season begins.  I hope the little fellow is still around when the hunting seasons are over...






This one appears to have some piebald traits judging from the mottled white on it's undersides...




They can be especially hard to see when they aren't white...





This buck is only partially hidden as he makes a rub on a tree...




But they are easiest to see when they come out into the open...









 And on a local farm pond this Thanksgiving Day duck...





4 comments:

  1. When I first saw your post I thought it was the one (piebald) at Worthington, I haven't seen that one in a while. I'm going to have to get an id on that LP duck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The duck is not from LP. It was on a farm pond over my way. I think it is a Hooded Merganser. Noone that I have talked to have seen the piebalds from Worthington this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today, 12-5-10, I saw the piebald fawn so I know that it survived the first week of firearms hunting season. I am looking forward to documenting its growth in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that piebald dear is around in the spring.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...