"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Thursday, April 6, 2023

Spring, a Time of New Life and Renewal

At times the changing seasons arrive subtly and without fanfare. Such was the case recently when I saw this yellow daffodil growing in a small clearing all alone...


 


Nearby, the banks of a small creek are "greening-up" nicely...



Some signs of the changing seasons are far more blatant...





One of the undeniable signs in out neck of the woods is when the snow geese begin migrating through, enroute to their breeding grounds in the North...




Farmers are not usually happy to see the snow geese arrive because of their destructive feeding habits in newly planted grain fields...




That, and there are just so darn many of them...



In contrast, the resident Canada geese are usually seen in family groups of two adults and their recently hatched young...





Spring is the mating season for wild turkeys...



The sound of a gobbler at sunrise is thrilling to most...



For a number of years there has been a great blue heron rookery not far from us...


 
The rookery has not been active recently. I don't know if eagle predation on the chicks could be a factor. A little right of center in the following photo you can see the profile of an eagle in one of the nests...



Following are images of a black-crowned night heron, another species that nests in Frederick each spring...





I always look forward to the arrival of Baltimore orioles and their uniquely shaped nests...







This is an orchard oriole. Not as common as the Baltimore oriole in our area...


Groundhogs get busy clearing out their dens or digging new ones...




I have found groundhogs foraging in trees...






In the western part of the country lives the yellow-bellied marmot...


The marmot is a close relative to the woodchuck, and sometimes is called a rock chuck...



I often travel unpaved roads in search of subjects. Gravel seems to be a favorite nesting site for killdeer. This adult had a pair of chicks nearby...









Cottontail rabbits scamper about having families...




The rabbits have to keep a wary eye out for predators such as the red fox...



Foxes have families to feed also, you know...







It is a lucky photographer who finds a family of foxes to photograph...



One critter to stay away from is the venomous copperhead...





It is always good advice to avoid black bears with cubs at any time of year...









A fledging tree swallow impatiently waits to be fed...



We are blessed with occasional migrating sandhill cranes. This photo was taken one spring in the Green River Valley of Wyoming...



The courtship dance must have been successful...


A ride over the Beartooth Highway in Montana rewarded us with this sighting of mountain goats...


The mating season for mink is ongoing...





A great-horned owl located her nest overlooking the stream where the mink was hunting...




Eastern coyotes are becoming more common. This pup popped out of some weeds long enough for me to get a photo...



A western coyote tried to swallow its catch so quickly that it ended up gagging on it...



Some folks become so attuned to nature that they call their time in the outdoors a "forest bath" or "nature bath" or some other trendy name. I have even seen claims that trees and shrubs talk to them. I have discounted these claims until recently. 
I was quietly waiting for something of interest to appear when I thought I heard my name. I looked all around for the source of this voice when I realized that it was, in fact, coming from a nearby tree. I am so glad that I had my camera. I doubt that I would be believed otherwise...



Thanks for visiting, be well, and come back soon.





2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Steve. I enjoyed the photos immensely. The snow geese in flight is stunning, and that bear cub!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...