"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Introducing "Betty Bear" of Signal Mountain


Betty is a young black bear with her first cubs.  Two cinnamon, and one black bundle of energy...



My first encounter came when I was photographing birds at a picnic area at the base of Signal Mountain.  I looked over and there she was , looking back at me...



What I did not know at the time, was that Betty had left her cubs in a tree about 15 yards from where I was standing...









Like many youngsters, the cubs have a mind of their own.  When she called them down one obeyed immediately...



The others took their time while Betty went back to grazing...



They continued playing until one noticed that mom wasn't kidding...


When she came over, the cub on the ground showed some bravado...


She quickly, but gently, showed the cub who was the boss...



With one on the ground, she dealt with the next one...




Notice that she held the first one down with her front feet while securing another...


Betty was named by a couple who live at the base of Signal Mountain, and who consider her their "backyard" bear.  Yellowstone has long had it's Rosie; why shouldn't Grand Teton have a Betty?


We will be moving to Yellowstone soon.  I hope that others will document Betty and her cubs.  It was my great privilege to share a few moments with them...


As always, feel free to share this post.  If you want to be sure not to miss future updates just "like" my Facebook Page.

Thanks for visiting, be well, and come back soon.

1 comment:

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...