"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Thursday, May 9, 2013

Solitary Sandpiper

In a recent blog post I identified this bird as a "sand piper type bird", I have recently learned from members of the Frederick Bird Club that it is a Solitary Sandpiper.  I am glad that I photographed it while I had the chance because it seems to have continued its' migration to breeding grounds in the North.  It was interesting to observe its' feeding technique.  It moved its' feet about stirring up the bottom of the creek and then quickly darted after whatever food it kicked up...



 
It moved a few inches and repeated the process...
 



In the next photo you can just make out what appears to be a larvae in the sandpipers mouth.  Perhaps a helgrammite or dobsonfly larvae...

 
Thanks for letting me share my first Solitary Sandpiper with you.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...