"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Barred Owl (Who Cooks For You)

Barred Owls are common in our area, yet many people fail to notice them due to their outstanding natural camouflage and, like most owls, their nocturnal habits.  I recently spotted one while driving slowly along a country road.  It only allowed me to take a quick photo before flying off...

Whenever I learn the location of a species that I would like to photograph I return day after day, often for hours at a time, hoping to have another opportunity.  Luck has been with me recently and this owl has been much more cooperative. Following are some of the photos that I took over the last two days...





In the next photo the owl has just been attacked from behind by a blue jay.  It seemed to take the assault in stride...


 
This last photo is a view of the barred owl you do not want to see if you are a squirrel, rabbit, vole, or mouse...
 
 
Thanks for visiting.
 







 


2 comments:

  1. Hello Steve
    Wow, that is very great, what a beautiful pictures, very sharp and great colors.
    Greetings Bets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bets

    Owls are hard to find and photograph even though there are plenty of them around.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...