"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Wednesday, December 26, 2012

White Christmas And More

We  finally had a white Christmas yesterday.  It is the first one in many years.  My son, Kyle, joined me for a morning ride to see what could be found to photograph close to home...



We came across a mixed flock of birds with two species that were new to me.  The first, I believe, is a Horned Lark...



The others appeared to be Water Pipits...



Since I was unfamiliar with these birds I would welcome the correct names if I have misidentified them.

I was able to get this shot of a Kestrel before it took flight...


As we were about to return home we encountered this Bald Eagle perched beside the road.  It was within sight of the Catoctin Creek Park and Nature Center  which seemed especially appropriate...


 
 
Thanks for visiting.  Stay well and come back soon.








5 comments:

  1. Wow - amazing shots - that last eagle one is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoAnn, thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I appreciate it.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the second shot of the bald eagle. It looks very fierce. Yes, your bird IDs are correct. Take a look at the long "toenails" on your second bird. That's very characteristic of pipits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pipit and the horned lark are new to me, Steve-I don't think I've ever seen them. And that last eagle photo--wow! Have a great New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn and Sue, thanks for visiting. It is always good to hear from viewers. Here's wishing you all the best in 2013.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...