"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Monday, February 27, 2012

Birds, Birds, Birds...

I never intended for this to be a "birding blog" but lately it seems like birds are all that I can find to photograph.  I am grateful for their colorful presence and cheerful songs, especially when other wildlife seems so scarce. I was experimenting with the Audubon app on my iPod when I called this House Wren into camera range...




Next I tried a couple of Tufted Titmouse calls and this inquisitive fellow landed nearby...


He seems to be looking for that female that he hears singing so sweetly...


If she is not over here, maybe she is back there...


Not far from these sightings I came upon a Great Blue Heron...


I'm not sure if he is just scratching an itch or cleaning his ear...


At the Lilypons Water Gardens I photographed these American Wigeon...


These Mallards were found on a small stream..



Next, I went to a spot along the Monocacy River where I got to watch this Common Merganser demonstrate his take-off technique for his companions...


Not far from home I came upon this "Pale Phase" Red Shouldered Hawk...





Although Red Shouldered Hawks are fairly common, this is the first pale phase that I have seen...


While looking for more raptors I spotted this Red-tailed Hawk scanning a field for prey...


Another favorite raptor is the American Kestrel, also called the Sparrow Hawk...


While traveling near a sod farm I saw this uncommon sight...


We seldom encounter Sea Gulls so far from the coast...


This ancient stone building always captures my imagination whenever I go past it.  It is the remnants of the Greenfield Mill complex.  If only walls could talk...


Finally, here is a series of my favorite Screech Owl ducking back into his refuge...




Thanks so much for sharing my bird sightings.  Please stop back.
















2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures, nice blog, nice story!

    I am now following you with pleasure.
    Have a nice day,
    Louise, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise,
    Thanks for your comment. I hope you enjoy the blog as you follow along.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...