"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Thursday, July 14, 2011

Would You Care For The Green Algae Sauce With Your Frog???

I watched this Green Heron fishing this morning and saw him make quite a catch.  He snatched a bullfrog up and gobbled it down in short order.  Here are some of the betters shots that I was able to get...





He dipped the frog into the algae covered water several times before eating it.  Whether for lubrication or to enhance the flavor I don't know which...


After being fed  up with the obnoxious photographer clicking away he moved the shade where he could devour his breakfast in peace.  The light was not so great for photos but here is the best that I could do.  He looks thankful that this meal is over in the last photo...











3 comments:

  1. These are amazing! I get excited when I see a heron's head peeking over the grass. I would be giddy to experience this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would want green algae with my frog!!! Those are excellent pictures Steve and I guess we all have to eat! Poor froggy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.... beautiful pics and an aamzing catch by this Green Heron.

    Congrats.

    Greetz from Holland.

    Remco

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...