"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fawns, Wild Turkey, Geese and Wood Ducks...

The wild turkey mating season is winding down and I have had very few opportunities to photograph gobblers this spring. I was lucky to see this one several hundred yards from the road. He did strut and pose long enough for me to take a couple of photos…




Later I photographed this female Wood Duck on the rocky bank of a small stream…


And this Canada Goose family not far away...


Local farmers are starting to cut their hay and this always results in new born fawns being accidently injured or killed. Here, a pair of turkey vultures feast on the remains of a fawn while the mother shows her distress nearby. She spotted me taking photos and approached to see if I had her fawn, I suppose…






This vulture was so full from his feast that he did not fly off when I approached and allowed me to photograph him at my leisure…



This Turkey Vulture is posing like the eagle on the reverse of our quarter.  Actually it is just soaking up the early morning sun...


Here are a couple of yard bunnies living in our neighborhood…




And this beautiful blossom from the Lilypons Water Gardens...


Also at Lilypons was this Starling snatching ripe berries from a convenient tree...


1 comment:

  1. These are great Steve, an unfortunate circumstance for the fawn and it's mama. She does look distressed. Nice gobbler.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...