"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Morning That Turned Out To Be For the Birds…

I had high expectations this morning, the light was gorgeous, the sky was clear and I was hoping to see an otter or beaver close enough to photograph. I found a place to park that provided a good view of a beaver’s bank den and patiently waited…


As time went by I was acutely aware of the profound silence on this brisk winter morning. Occasionally, I could hear a footstep on the crusted snow, but I was never able to see the source of the sound.

Then, I became aware of the gentle sound of the water passing by and the different noise made by the newly formed ice particles as they collided with each other and formed a translucent sheet of ice…


When the ice sheets had obtained sufficient thickness they would occasionally fracture, with a sound like ripping fabric, due to the relentless pressure of the flowing creek pressing against their sides…


It was a fascinating display of the subtle interaction of the forces of nature. So gentle and quiet as to be lost on most people unless one is sitting quietly observing and listening…

Just when I was about to leave a flock of 20 or more Bluebirds descended on my location and began feeding on the vines and bushes growing near the creek…




They were joined by this Red Bellied Woodpecker…


All in all, a great morning to be immersed in the sights and sounds of winter and to reflect on the coming of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...