"A Sand County Almanac"

"THERE ARE SOME WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT WILD THINGS AND SOME WHO CANNOT."
"FOR US IN THE MINORITY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE GEESE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TELEVISION.".....Aldo Leopold




"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER".....Albert Einstein


“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves”.....John Muir


Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Eagles In Maryland?...............You Bet!

While visiting the LilyPons Water Garden today, I saw two mature Bald Eagles soaring high above. The sight of them caused me to reflect on the eagles I have seen. When I was growing up, in West Virginia, in the 50s and 60s, the prospect of seeing a live eagle was limited to a visit to a zoo or game farm.

In the mid 1970s, while living on Baker Valley Road, I saw my first Bald Eagle in the wild as it flew above the Monocacy River, not far from what is today the Monocacy National Battlefield. As time went by reports of eagles in Frederick County became more frequent, and I had my second sighting while canoeing the Monocacy River just south of Buckeystown.

These days eagles can be spotted along the C&O Canal, the Monocacy, Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers, and at the Conowingo Dam. All of the following photos were taken in 2010, I hope that you enjoy them. If you learn of any place in Frederick County where eagles can be seen regularly please let me know and I will try to add their photos to the blog.

This first group of photos are from Lilypons and the second from Conowingo Dam...



No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely enjoy comments from my visitors. I must ask that those wishing to comment understand that moderation has become necessary due to the nature of some comments left in the past...